The beginnings of PFD Food Services date back to 1864, when J Hill & Son commenced business as a fresh fish merchant, operating from the Melbourne wholesale fish markets.
In 1943, J Hill's directors were finding it increasingly difficult to operate within the government's restrictive pricing control policy, so decided to form a company that sold processed fish, which was not liable to price control. It was then that Processed Fish Distributors (PFD) began supplying shark and whiting fillets, smoked cod and cooked crayfish throughout the metropolitan area and some regional centers. Premises were leased from the Brunswick Ice Works where the processing took place and frozen fish was delivered to the suburbs in vans that were insulated with compressed and trussed straw. PFD's customers in regional areas received their goods by rail.
For more detailed history click here